Sunday 30 April 2017

Silicon Heaven

Kryten - Red DwarfWell folks, it looks like my laptop may be on its last legs. So if I go quiet all of a sudden, it probably means that it's given up the ghost, and I'll be offline until I can find myself a suitable replacement.

What Happened?

For reasons beyond my understanding the laptop went absolutely loco last night. A massive amount of feedback was sent through the speakers, shortly followed by constant attempts to read the DVD drive; which was empty at the time.

I did sit with it into the wee hours pulling it back from the brink, and it is functional again; but I suspect whatever has happened is beyond my ability to actually repair. There are still corrupted files being reported with every boot up, and realistically it is only a matter of time before one of the files damaged by this cascade of failures is system critical.

Essentially, the laptop is bleeding out, and the most I can do is apply pressure to the wound.

It's sad really. I've really come to like this laptop, despite its many flaws, so I will be sad to see it go. It's the way of all things though I guess. There is a time for everything, as they say. A time to be born, and unfortunately in the case of my laptop; a time to die.

In this case, there is also a time to back up all of your files. Something I should really do sooner rather than later lest I want to lose a butt load of stuff!

No comments:

Post a Comment