Sunday 12 March 2017

Dream It, Do It

This isn't the title of a forthcoming self-help novel penned by Brian Griffin, but some genuine advice that I have given myself. Advice I needed with how downtrodden I was feeling this time yesterday. Life can sometimes get on top of you, but the important thing is your ability to get back on top of life.

Dream it. Do it.

All dream it, do it is; is a very basic way of helping you achieve this. Where by you simply set a goal (the dream aspect), and then you do it. You don't make excuses, you don't get distracted; and as a result you see some real results.

So this morning when I woke up, instead of propping myself up in front of the TV with some chocolate biscuits, feeling sorry for myself; I hit the day running. I kicked the day with some exercise, and my vitamins before grabbing a bath to get rid of the funk I'd worked up. It was there that I set to thinking about what I wanted to do with the day, and what I was doing with myself.

Dream it.

I think of my bath as my think tank. It's where I get a lot of my ideas. One of these today was, "stop getting distracted". It's the same every week. I decide that I'm going to spend the weekend gaming, but when the weekend comes round I find I have to do X, Y and Z; and once I've done those, I'm in no mood for gaming. Too much of the day has been lost I tell myself.. It'll keep. There's always next weekend. I'll definitely do it then. It's a vicious cycle.

Not today I thought. Not again. Nope.

Do it.

So instead of laying there pondering away, I decided to get up, and get out (after having washed of course). I came to realise that as much as I value thought (and I really do), and the time to think; too much thinking distracts you from actually doing. It's self-defeating. If you don't act upon your better ideas, you may as well not have had them.

Once out I didn't allow myself the time to get distracted by anything else. I just got dressed and set about my current goal which was getting in a few games towards my 10 x 10 Challenge. Which I did! Only two games in fairness, but it's still more than I would have achieved had I not picked myself up, and dusted myself off.

I also feel like I achieved something. A feeling which is allowing the words to come a lot more easily than they did yesterday. Mood is very important when it comes to writing, so keeping yourself motivated is critical. As is self-belief.

Achieving what you set out to do goes a long way towards boosting both of those (mood and self-belief); and dream it, do it can really help you set obtainable goals.

What do you want to do? Okay, and how are you going to do it?

No comments:

Post a Comment