Thursday 2 February 2017

10 x 10 Challenge #8: 100 Swords - Game #1 - Part #2

Following on from my last 100 Swords post for the 10 x 10 Challenge; we pick up the action with a mushroom blocking the entrance to a dungeon literally littered with loot.

100 Swords - The Red Dragon's Dungeon
Knowing that I needed to get rid of the Mushroom at the entrance sooner rather than later, I hoped for a good draw.. I did not get it. Instead I got a Crappy Sword, the Awkward Sword (which is so much worse than a Crappy Sword), 2 pairs of Boots, and the Wither Sword. The problem here is again much as it was in the previous turn. In order to take out that pain in the ass fungus, I am going to have to expend several cards (1 to move to it, and 2 to slay it), which will leave me with very little in the way of resources to do anything else this turn. So I took the slightly more economical (but less permanent) of renting out the potion again and giving the Mushroom 40 winks. Using the remaining Boots and the Crappy Sword in my hand, I moved into the second chamber; and claimed the Fine Sword. Much better! I then used the Wither Sword to move further into the dungeon and to retire a Crappy Sword from my discard, before revealing.. Another bloody Mushroom! This one was getting it though, and was swiftly cut down by my new and shiny Fine Sword. "Ha ha, vengance is mine!". Victory was short lived however as the A.I revealed the entrance Mushroom (again), and a torch; taking the latter. It'll go nicely with their Torch Skeleton from the last round I guess.

100 Swords - The Red Dragon's Dungeon
The beginning of the next turn, and I'm hoping for a favorable draw.. Nope. A Crappy Sword, an Awkward Sword, the Wither Sword, a pair of Quick Boots, and a pair of regular Boots. Again nothing with enough punch to take out the Mushroom at the entrance, unless I am willing to burn through a few cards. Which given that the hand I drew is otherwise pretty good, I am not. So I opt for another nap time for the Mushroom, this time burning a Crappy Sword for the privilege; before using a regular pair of Boots to move into the second chamber chamber, and using my Wither Sword and Awkward Sword for the energy required to take the Cursed Sword. I then used the Quick Boots to move another two chambers into the dungeon, drawing another Crappy Sword into my hand with their special ability; and revealing a Wooden Door. Nuts! Running into an impassible obstacle that requires a key is very bad news at this point, as the amount of cards I would need to burn to dispose of it and possibly passify the Mushroom at the entrance next turn, would render that turn moot. Fortune favors the bold however, and as luck would have it this door can be kicked in by spending three point of movement.. Which the cards in my hand can generate. Exactly! So rather than another annoying road block, the Wooden Door becomes a trophy. Points not problems, that's exactly what I need! It was then the turn of the A.I to rain on my parade, revealing the Mushroom (again again), but taking the Thunder Sword at the end of the dungeon.. I could have really used that sword. *sigh*.

100 Swords - The Red Dragon's Dungeon
Turn 8, and my hand finally allows for the fungicide that I have been contemplating, and even willing for turns. This turn I drew 3 x Crappy Swords, a pair of Boots, and the card that would crucially break the deadlock; the Lullaby Sword. Typical isn't it, that the one turn I don't need to flip the Mushroom, I draw a card that will do just that. Never the less, time to press my advantage. I used a Crappy Sword to move into the first chamber, and the Lullaby Sword to put the Mushroom there into a very permanent slumber. All hail Tom, the mighty mushroom slayer. After a brief fist pump into the air, I used my Boots to move into the third chamber; revealing the Treasure Chest. Bugger! No key.. Again. However, on the plus side, given it's location in the dungeon, I know that the A.I can't possibly take it at the end of the turn (as the last thing I want to do is hand it 5 Gold / victory points. Using another Crappy Sword from my hand, I venture into the next chamber, revealing a Cave Wizard who uses their magic to conceal the chest. The A.I acts, revealing a Scary Door near the entrance to the dungeon and another pair of Quick Boots in the final chamber. Being helpful for once, the A.I takes the Scary Door as a trophy.

100 Swords - The Red Dragon's Dungeon
Turn 9, and I have a very definite plan. I want the Treasure Chest, which thanks to the actions of the actions of the A.I in the last turn is now conveniently located at the entrance. So I need a key, and my hand  this turn (an Awkward Sword, an Okay Sword, a Fine Sword, a pair of Boots, and the Wither Sword) gives me just the throw away card to acquire it with. Using the Awkward Sword (surprise surprise) to rent the All Purpose Key and, my Boots to enter the first chamber I claim the Treasure Chest. I then used the Wither Sword for its movement value and slew the Cave Wizard in the next chamber with the Fine Sword. On something of a roll I used the Okay Sword to move another two chambers, revealing the dungeon boss. The Red Dragon! It was now time for the A.I to act, who upon revealing a pair of Combo Gauntlets at the end of the dungeon left me with something of a dilemma. The A.I could take either of these cards (as they were of equal Gold value), and the choice would be mine. On the one hand, if I opted for them to take the Quick Boots, the dragon would find itself at the entrance. An ideal opportunity for me to take it out next turn, but should I fail; I'd be handing it to the A.I. It would all come down to a hand of cards that I could not vouch for. On the other hand however, if I opted that the A.I would take the Combo Gauntlets I would buy myself a turn; but little else. It would be unlikely that I could muster the cards to slay the dragon next turn if I made this choice, and at best I would net myself a pair of Quick Boots. As these would offer no immediate benefit in slaying the dragon, and delaying the inevitable would only result in the A.I gaining an additional trophy, I opted that the A.I take the boots. The next turn would be the last turn.

100 Swords - The Red Dragon's Dungeon
Balls, balls, balls, BALLS! 4 x Crappy Sword and a pair of Quick Boots was not the hand that I wanted to see! Still, when life gives you lemons, make lemonades.. And when a game gives you boots, make a run for it. Knowing that I couldn't possibly defeat the dragon this turn, and that I was going to hand it to the A.I for 8 Gold at the end of the turn; I decided to try and offset the loss by scoring as many points this turn as I could. Using a Crappy Sword, I rented out the potion to send the Red Dragon off to the land of nod. I then used Quick Boots to move into the second chamber, and the last of my cards to take the Combo Gauntlets.. Which would now drive me on using their special ability. Only one chamber however, where I revealed the Monster Bane Sword! Not that I could actually take it. Still, it was nice to get close. All out of options, the A.I acted and took the dragon; and ended the game.

But what were the final scores?

100 Swords - The Red Dragon's Dungeon
A.I: 39 Points
100 Swords - The Red Dragon's Dungeon
Me: 32 Points












As you can see, it was a very close run thing; and had I slain the Red Dragon at the end of the game it would have made all the difference. Close games are not uncommon with 100 Swords from my personal experience however, which I believe speaks of a really well balanced game.

How true that holds when I add a dungeon builder set to the deck, or play with the other deck remains to be seen of course; but so far, so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment